Full course description
This is a self-paced training course for volunteers and staff supporting the MU Extension Community Health Engagement and Outreach unit by supporting Mobile Health Unit screening events. Plan to spend 10 hours to complete the seven modules.
This course introduces the learner to the project overview, common undiagnosed illnesses, assessment measures, how to interpret results, and how to navigate the referral process.
This project addresses health disparities in Missouri through screening, education, and referral. Our goal is to screen adults who may be at high-risk, direct them to care for heart disease and Type II Diabetes, & help reduce severe COVID illness due to multiple, undiagnosed medical conditions.
Our goal is to conduct 40 health education events in partnership with communities in Southern Missouri.
- Define Comorbidity
- Define Type II Diabetes Mellitus (DM)
- Define Hypertension (HTN)
- Define Heart Disease and High Cholesterol
- Understand the basics of health screening assessments.
- Demonstrate understanding of patient safety measures and protecting personal information.
- Interpret screening results; HbA1c (A1c), Lipid Panel, Blood Pressure, BMI
- Educate participants about prevention and management.
- Provide referral services and resources to participants.
- Demonstrate competency through assessment, practice and role playing.
The modules in this course include:
- Student Resources and Navigation
- Welcome: Content Overview and Understanding the Basics
- Understanding Diabetes
- Understanding Heart Disease
- Understanding Hypertension
- Professional Skills; Communication, Education, and Resources
MU Extension, HOPE, CHEO
Course Completion Certificate
Anyone, there are no prerequisite skills required though a background in healthcare may be beneficial.
University of Missouri Extension complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. If you have a disability and need accommodations in connection with participation in an educational program or you need materials in an alternate format, please notify your instructor as soon as possible so that necessary arrangements can be made.