Full course description
This course provides an introductory-level overview of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Geospatial Analytics.
This course is part of the Digital Technology Consortium that offers three online courses available through MU Extension and Engagement: Business Data Analytics, Coding and Programming, and Geographical Information Systems.
The following objectives are for this six-week course. Each assessment will have a list of objectives that are in line with the following. Students who complete this course will be able to:
- Understand the basic structure, functionality, and applicability of GIS.
- Differentiate among the alternative data models and formats commonly utilized in GIS.
- Understand and apply basic cartographic principles.
- Identify sources of GIS-compatible data.
- Apply attribute-based and location-based queries.
- Understand the benefits of geospatial analytics to practical planning problems.
Module 0 - Course Introduction, Resources, and FAQs
Module 1 - Introduction to Geographic
Module 2 - GIS Data
Module 3 - Cartography
Module 4 - Sources of GIS Data
Module 5 - Spatial Query
Module 6 - Geospatial Analysis
Dr. Tim Matisziw and Dr. Tim Haithcoat
MU College of Engineering